"His Eyes" (Drawing in Prismacolor pencils, Archival ink .005, gold and white ink gels, and blending tortillons on toned tan paper).
Realism Tips for artists:
1. For realism, embrace imperfection. Without texture variations, pieces will appear "cartoony".
2. Keep Going. It requires layers upon layers, especially when using color pencils.
3. Turn it upside-down. Learn to see value and shapes.
4. Use blending stubs to soften rough areas.
5. Measure carefully in the beginning to avoid bigger mistakes later.
I'll write a blog full blog article on this shortly (for nationalartgallery.com)
"Golden Muse: Carmelita Jeter". Color pencils on toned tan paper.